Sunday, November 9, 2008

Being Thankful for Simple Things

Last night after the kids went to bed, I settled in and starting reading my bible study book. I really enjoy it as I mentioned in an earlier post.
The chapter I was reading was titled "I love smelly shoes". Huh? What was this? The author was teaching us to be thankful for everyday, small things that would usually irriate us. She was telling a story about how one day she was trying to do her own bible study, but she kept being distracted by the shoes laying around the room. She started counting them and realized there were 14 pair of shoes in the living room. With a heavy sigh, she got up and started picking them up. Soccer shoes, flip flops, ballet slippers, you name it. Suddenly she realized that she should, instead of frustrated her kids hadn't put them in the closet on their own, she should be thankful that she had strong, healthy kids who were able to play these sports, for the mud that they were healthy enough to be able to play in, for the dances they had done to scuff up the toes. She encouraged us to instead of being discouraged or frustrated the next time we are picking them up to pray over the feet of those who fill them. The next time you pick up a pair of men's loafers, pray for the large responsibility that rest on those feet.
I was feeling very touched and inspired, I looked around and thanked God for the airplanes, the dog toys, etc. and I went off to bed. Then, I walked in my room saw the clean sheets laying on the top of the bed and yelled, "Oh man!! I cannot believe I forgot to put the sheets on the bed!" I felt a little tug at my heart and said begrudgingly..."Thank you God, for a bed to sleep in and for clean sheets to snuggle up in!"
Timing is everything, Right?!

No comments: