Monday, October 6, 2008

Voting

As many as you know, I have pretty strong political views. I promise I will not use this blog to express my political views @ any time, most everyone reading this already know them anyway.
What I want to talk about tonight is the push to get people to vote early.
I understand that people who are going to be out of town, college students or elderly with little access to public transportation need some extra time or help getting there. I have no issues with that.
I just think that having people go early just to "avoid long lines" and to ensure that people "Rock the Vote" is just silly to me. I believe that if you don't care enough to get up and be there @ 6am, stand in long lines, miss or be late to work, take time out of your precious day for the sake of voting for our countries leaders, any year, especially this year. Than you don't care enough.
Not only that, but I encourage everyone who reads this between now and Nov. 6th to not only go and vote on Nov. 6th, but what if we all took our kids? I have taken Avery and Jake every year, and they really love it. I just tell them that it is important to vote, every time you get the opportunity. They love watching mom "push all the buttons" and talking to all of the people working the polls.
Ok, no more lecturing, I just couldn't resist as I watched the news tonight and they were telling us all of the places we could go & vote starting mid-October.
Thanks for putting up with me on this, I will try not to "bog" down the blog with politics. Its early though, so I'm not promising anything!
~Heather

1 comment:

Tina Miles said...

My kids love coming with me to vote too--but I think it's more because we go to the Fire Station to vote. Last month Will asked me when we were going to vote again!
:-)